Eye on Earth Blog homepage.

Recently in General Category

Yellowstone: More Valuable Than Gold

flash_largeimagecrop_yellowstone.jpg
Mining near sensitive ecosystems is one of the hottest natural resource debates, pitting economic and environmental values against each other. As the controversy surrounding mining in Minnesota continues, opponents may want to take a few notes from one of the nation's largest, successful anti-mining campaigns to date.

Mike Clark, former executive director of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition, shared his experience fighting the New World mining project outside the nation's largest national park in the 1980s and 1990s in his Frontiers in the Environment lecture Wednesday, April 9 on the University of Minnesota's St. Paul campus.

Everything's Coming Up Rosemount

flash_largeimagecrop_rosemount2 (1).jpg
The city of Rosemount has spring in its step -- and not just because of the change of seasons.  Just a short drive south of the Twin Cities, this fast-growing community was chosen as next year's partner in the University of Minnesota's Resilient Communities Project, an Institute on the Environment-supported program. 

RCP organizes yearlong partnerships between the University and Minnesota communities. The partnership will bring the expertise of hundreds of graduate students to sustainability-related projects identified by Rosemount city staff and community partners. Development of open space and public amenities and enhancing pride of place are some of the projects the city hopes to tackle with the help of the University's sustainability expertise.

Intelligent Nanotechnology for Environmental Monitoring

02-05-Wang.jpgPollution and contamination aren't always as obvious as a burning river or a massive algal bloom. In fact, pathogen and heavy metal contamination can be difficult to detect - even with today's most modern technology.

Jian-Ping Wang, an IonE resident fellow and distinguished McKnight University professor in the College of Science and Engineering, is working to change that. Wang discussed his research using spintronic and nano magnetic technologies at his Frontiers in the Environment lecture, "Intelligent Nanotechnology for Environmental Monitoring," Feb. 5.

Where Art & Science Meet

Jeff Thornton, Harvest Field sized.jpgWhat happens at the intersection of art and science? Come to IonE's Commons: Meeting & Art Space to see for yourself!

In the commons' new exhibit, "Tales of Environmental Turbulence: The Common Trail of Art and Science," 17 artists explore challenging cultural and scientific concepts. 

Nourishment in Decay (Or, You're Never as Awake as When You're Sawing Logs)

degrees of decay.jpgBY JONATHAN SCHILLING

Every summer, when I visit my boreal field plots, I cross fingers that we don't chain saw through a nest of bees when we sample rotting logs for our log decomposition studies. They say athletes can slow their perception of time. The same can be said of the moment when bees boil out of a freshly cut log and you process what is about to happen. It is slow motion prior to the appropriate reaction, which in this case is simple: Run. Run fast and hope your collaborators are slower than you.

Lessons Learned: My First Press Release

epeters.jpgBY EMILY PETERS

As a scientist raised by two journalists, I can't help but feel that scientists have an obligation to communicate their research to nonscientists. To honor this responsibility, I have tried throughout my career to prepare myself for this critical but daunting role. I've taken media and communications training, joined Toastmasters International, and given countless research presentations to practitioners.

Unfortunately, nothing prepared me for my first press release.

This summer, for the first time in my career, a science journal wanted to write a press release about my research. I was thrilled! And then I was scared. What if a journalist actually called me? What if several journalists called me? What if they misinterpreted my science? What if I sounded like a fool?

Despite my fears, I plunged ahead. But not without making a few mistakes, waking up panicked in the middle of the night, and even issuing a call to stop the presses.

Fortunately, my story ended well. Minnesota Public Radio, the Star Tribune, KSTP, Michigan Public Radio, American Geophysical Union and others ran stories about my research. Most importantly, the coverage was scientifically sound.

It is my hope that by sharing my "lessons learned" I can help ease this first press release experience for other early-career scientists. As scary as it was to relinquish control of my science to a journalist, it was an important step in fulfilling my commitment to communicate science to the public. I can't wait to do it again!

Lessons learned:

1.    Ask co-authors for advice. Get a more experienced scientist involved in the research to advise you on the press release process. More specifically, ask them to review and edit the press release. Generally, I've found that the more senior the scientist, the more wary they are of talking to the press. Don't let this discourage you, but be mindful of their advice. Most senior scientists have learned from their own battle scars as well. Their main objective will be to get the science right.

2.    University communicators are there to help you. Get these communication experts involved as soon as you suspect your research may draw media attention. These people not only are trained journalists, but also work with scientists all the time. They understand how hard it can be to translate years of complicated research into a few sound bites or sentences. They truly want to help you tell your story in the most interesting, accessible and accurate way possible. They also serve as a point of contact and filter to the outside media world. Let them do their job and help you through this process.

3.    Clarify your message. Before ever speaking to a journalist, write down your main message in simple language. What question did you answer with your research? What did you find? What methods did you use? What are the broader implications of your work? Answer each of these questions with bullet points or in one to two sentences only. Spend more of your time thinking about how to translate your results into simple sentences than explaining your methods. Journalists mostly want to know your punch line, not how you got there.

4.    Anticipate potential extrapolations of your work. The media will push you to simplify and extrapolate your results beyond where you are comfortable. Spend time anticipating these types of questions and formulating a response beforehand. Remember, your goal is to make sure the science is accurately portrayed. The media will sensationalize whatever they can; just force them to do it within the confines of what your results actually say. I still cringe at the MPR headline about my research, "The suburbs' quiet war on CO2", but at the same time I can appreciate its superior attention-grabbing quality compared to the one I wrote, "Continuous measurements of net CO2 exchange by vegetation and soils in a suburban landscape." Even I would rather read the story about the CO2 war!

5.    You can ask questions, too. If a journalist calls you, hurray! But before you answer any questions, ask them to describe their assignment. Familiarize yourself with the situation. Who do they work for? Who is their primary audience? When will the story run? In what format (blog post, printed article, radio)? How will they conduct the interview? Can they share interview questions with you ahead of time?

6.    You don't have to answer a question. Politicians do it all the time, so why can't we? If you don't feel comfortable answering a question or feel a journalist is pushing you in a misleading direction, simply say, "At this time, I'm not comfortable answering that question." Then emphasize or reiterate your mains points (see #3). Keep the conversation focused on what you think are the main findings of your research.

7.    Have fun! Embrace the whole process as a new learning experience in your career. It's OK to make mistakes. Who knows, you might even reach a new audience that pleasantly surprises you.

Emily Peters is a forest ecologist for the Institute on the Environment's Boreal Forest Resilience Project. Photo of Emily Peters in research mode courtesy of the author.

The opinions expressed in this blog are those of the author(s) and not necessarily of the Institute on the Environment/University of Minnesota.

Recent Comments

• ugg slippers women: T black sparkle uggs ory MP tab Pritchard produced the read more
  • Chrome Hearts and UGG Boots: A Focus On SEO From The Pers Chrome Hearts Hoodie read more
  • Parka Woolrich: Appear diventare un pilota Offerte Moncler Uomo commerciale Penso che read more
  • Outlet Woolrich Milano: E 'ora che la sinistra ha parlato contro il fanatismo read more
  • Ralph Lauren Sunglasses Hut: Right here is an additio Barbour Commander Jacket nal depth read more
  • Lululemon Duffle Bags: Entire body Of Missing Harvard Student Discovered Barbour Wellies (CNN) read more
  • Ralph Lauren Shirt Sizes: course pooch on Petfinder Silver Spring, Barbour Quilted Jacket M read more
  • Barbour Wax: Gain account create for Saucier teen burned at bon fire,Bar read more
  • Ralph Lauren Jacket Black: Carmel High school Paper Opera Barbour Uk tes advert F read more
  • Mens Barbour Jacket Sale: Boston Trend and Make-up Berets c Barbour Jackets Sale ertainly read more

This page is an archive of recent entries in the General category.

Food is the previous category.

Green Chemistry is the next category.