Eye on Earth Blog homepage.

Recently in IonE Resident Fellow Category

Earthducation Expedition 6 Heads to the Land of Everest

Pokhara, Nepal.jpg
What does education look like in remote mountain villages where electricity is nonexistent or unreliable? How does a developing country seeking to grow its economy, boost tourism and expand its infrastructure do so sustainably? Earthducation Expedition 6 aims to find out -- and share what it learns with teachers and students around the world. This sixth in a series of seven-continent explorations investigates the intersections between education and sustainability in Nepal, the roof of the world. Led by Aaron Doering and Charles Miller of the University of Minnesota's College of Education and Human Development with funding from the University's Institute on the Environment, the expedition will set out April 27 for a journey to this diverse ecological powerhouse that boasts some of the most majestic geographical wonders on Earth.

New Life Cycle Assessment Tool Aims to Clean Up Supply Chain

Thumbnail image for flash_largeimagecrop_sponge2.jpg
There you are, hunkered over your sink, hands wrist-deep in hot water, swiping suds over food-crusted dinner plates. That squishy, soapy thing that's helping you do so many daily chores . . . ever wonder where its life began and where it will end?

That sponge, like everything on the planet, has a life cycle, composed of all the materials and energy that brought it to your sink and all the tasks it will help you complete until you've squeezed the last bit of work from it and tossed it into the trash. 

The opinions expressed in this blog are those of the author(s) and not necessarily of the Institute on the Environment/University of Minnesota.

Recent Comments

• David Reamer : Kate. My question pertain to the future commercial scale use read more
  • Addah: Awesomeness just read more
  • Kevin Shi : I browsed the MinuteEarth channel to check it out. I read more
  • Rei mesas plasticas: In Brasil the government is working hard to cleaning lakes, read more
  • Rei mesas plasticas: Whats happening is so sad. Finally someone is doing something. read more
  • caroline mesas plasticas : What a nice initiative! Nowadays we really have take care read more
  • Patrice Elston : Excellent article. I wish the researchers great luck, and look read more
  • Mary Hoff: Thank you so much for your feedback! Glad to know read more
  • Vit Vellore : wonderful information, I had come to know about your blog read more
  • Vit Vellore: wonderful information, I had come to know about your blog read more

This page is an archive of recent entries in the IonE Resident Fellow category.

IonE Mini Grant is the previous category.

Leadership is the next category.