Hello IPID friends,
IPID is hosting an information session on Reconsidering Development journal and its Editorial Board recruitment process from 4-5pm on April 3, 2013 in Coffman Room 307. Pizza will be provided. Please join us if you can.
Reconsidering Development is an innovative student-run web-based journal focused on advancing a critical, interdisciplinary perspective on international development. The Journal is published twice per year - once in April and once in October. By including the voices of those normally marginalized within the academy (graduate students, farmers, NGO workers, local citizen), we hope to move beyond the status quo of the scholarship and practice of international development.
Reconsidering Development solicits new applicants every Spring semester for its Editorial Board. This year, we are looking for creative applications to fill the following positions: Managing Editor (1), Senior Editor (1), Associate Web Editor (2), Associate Writing Editor (7-8), and Associate Audiovisual Editor (1). This is an exciting opportunity for individuals who are passionate about international development issues, who are interested in working with authors and editors with different intellectual and cultural backgrounds, and/or who are looking for editing, designing, publishing, and teamwork experiences. We provide our editors with trainings and workshops on different aspects of an editing process. Previous editors all have gained positive and valuable experiences, and have seen a huge improvement in their critical thinking, writing, and editing skills.
Please see attachments for details on the positions. If you are interested in any of the positions, please email Joy Wang at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, academic program and year, the position for which you are applying, a copy of your resume and 200 words of intent. All applicants must be a University of Minnesota graduate student at time of application.
Again, please join us from 4-5pm next Wednesday in Coffman Room 307 if you want to learn more about Reconsidering Development and its recruitment process. If you cannot come to the information session but would like the full description of each position, feel free to email Joy Wang at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing more from you!
Brief Description of Each Position:
- Manage the solicitation process, including creating calls for submissions, corresponding with authors, and managing the review process for each issue
- Oversee the publication process, providing final review and editing to each submission
- Maintain cloud computing site in order to provide a history of the journal for future editorial boards
- Collaborate with Management Editors (Senior, Web, Executive) to provide vision and training to each Editorial Board, oversee recruiting process, and manage workflow/organization of the journal
- Serves on the Selection Committee for each issue
- Manages Editing Department (team of Associate Editors)
- Trains new Associate Editors in the editing process
- Communicates with Associate Editors regarding editing schedules/timelines
- Pairs Associate Editors into editing teams for each issue based on knowledge of work style, strengths, and weaknesses of each editor
- Coordinates editing process
- Tracks and monitors the progress of each submission as documents go through each step in the editing process of written submissions
- Summarizes Selection Committee and Reviewer comments
- Compiles content and writing edits from Associate Editors before submissions are returned to Authors for revision
- Cleans submission documents after final edits for webification
- Facilitates review and revision of the editing process after each issue
- Communicates with Management Department and Web Department
Associate Web Editor
- Manage html compliance and functionality of all submissions
- Communicate with Web Editor regarding html compliance and functionality of documents
- Creative tasks as needed from Web Editor
Associate Writing Editor
- Edit approved written submissions for content and writing
- Manage APA (American Psychological Association) compliance and style compliance of written submissions
- Communicate with Senior Editor regarding editing process, APA compliance and RDJ style compliance
- Creative tasks as needed from Senior Editor and/or Managing Editor
Associate Audiovisual Editor
- Creative editing of video and audio submissions to ensure that submissions meet technical requirements of the RDJ Style Guide
- Resolution and quality editing of photo submissions
- Work with Web Editors in the creation or manipulation of audiovisual materials to enhance the website, including technical editing of video, photo, sound, and other audiovisual submissions
- Other tasks as needed from Senior Editor and/or Managing Editor
- Thursday, March 28, 2013 - Announcement of recruitment.
- Monday, April 15, 2013 - Applications (resume and 200 words of intent) due to Joy Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 12:00 (noon).
- Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - Applicants notified of interview* if necessary.
- Monday, April 22, 2011 - New editors notified of selection.
*All applicants should prepare for a 15-20 minute interview. Time and location are to be decided.