Recently in Jobs Category
Time passed by really really quick! I still remember clearly what happened on the first day of arrival at the University of Minnesota and what I felt about this strange but huge campus. But, now I am going to graduate in May, which means there is only two months left for the student life at the University of Minnesota.
Recently, I kept thinking what is the next?
Finding a job seems like the only and necessary choice...
So.. how to start your job search? what you need to be aware as an international student?
As an international student, I need to maintain full-time enrollment. So, although I am done with my actual coursework, I enrolled in a couple of courses this semester, thinking with only these and working 20 hours a week, I would still have time for other "professional development" stuff. This was my [heavily edited] week.
How are you doing?
Are you curious about available employment opportunities on and off campus?
I will share my experiences and resources that I used to get a part-time job on campus.
I am currently working at the University of Minnesota Child Care Center as a student child care worker.
Here are things that I did to get a job.
1. Checked out employment options with International Scholars and Services
2. Asked the academic advisor for on-campus employment opportunities
3. Searched postings on the University Office of Human Resources' employment web site
4. Prepared a resume and a coverletter to apply for the position
5. Visited College of Education and Human Development Career Services for a resume critique and a mock interview
6. Applied for the position on the University Office of Human Resources' employment web site
7. Contacted by the employer for an interview
8. Interviewed by the employer and got the position
I learned the importance of networking with others such as classmates, professors, and career counselors. Also, I learned that it takes time and effort to write a high quality resume that demonstrating my qualifications and experiences.
Here are some other available resources for the students.
Campus Career Events http://www.career.umn.edu/campusevents.htm
Career Fairs http://www.career.umn.edu/colfairs.htm
Mentoring Programs http://www.career.umn.edu/mentr.htm
Career Workshops http://www.career.umn.edu/workshops.htm
Sincerely, Sunmin (Sunny) Lee