Roots Manuva

Honestly, I know very little about non-American hip hop artists, and had to look around to find someone to write about. Thus, I'm gonna write about an artist I came across while looking. He may not be a "favorite" since I don't really know a lot of others to compare to, but I was intrigued by the song I heard, and was entertained by the music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuSdXKtJX4

His name is Roots Manuva and he's a British hip hop artists. The following is his short biography from www.last.fm. : "Roots Manuva, born Rodney Smith is a British hip-hop artist, who mixes hip hop with reggae and dub as well as electronica, and even some gospel. He grew up around Stockwell in South London."

The song I found was called Witness. While I had a hard time deciphering the true meaning behind his raps because of various British slang and because I don't know his image very much, there were definitely some messages about hardships in 3rd world countries he sympathized with. He did rap about how dope his raps were, but I didn't notice any lines about bitches and hos, which I found refreshing. But what I liked most was the music video, which, rather than showing him with fancy cars, money, and a woman with big boobs, showed him competing in various outdoor races with children (the same children in 3rd world countries he talked about earlier, at least that's what it looked like), and doing things like working out and eating breakfast (getting ready for the race). Now, I could be dead wrong about the message, and maybe he's being a bad person and stealing the trophy from the children, since I don't understand everything he is saying I'm not completely sure, but it was just nice to see a music video where the rapper was being playful and personable rather than bragging about all of his material goods and being misogynistic.

RootsManuva1.jpg

I also have not heard of Roots Manuva, but it is very interesting to see the amount of information that you were able to collect about his biography and some of his favorite songs. I also did a British hip hop artists, and can definitely relate to some of the lines that he raps compared to Tinie Tempah. It is cool that I was able to find out about another hip hop artist through your research and how popular he is in a different country.