Ableism

Before taking this class, I had never heard of ableism. During lecture and our class discussions, I could immediately realize examples of ableism and why it is an important issue. Disability is a socially constructed issue, meaning if we didn't assume that a "perfect, healthy body" was normal and people who are different - either physically, or mentally were the ones who were different, the term itself might not even be a word in our vocabulary. I remember someone in class mentioning how the world is built for an "able-bodied person". At first, I was confused, but then I realized how much truth there is in that statement. There is an ideology that those who are able walk stairs, don't have to reach the counters/cupboards, or use the smaller bathroom stall. Why does it have to be this way? Why are their stairs when almost anyone can use a ramp? Why isn't every bathroom stall big enough for a wheelchair? I know there is almost no way to change the way we build our buildings - it's just been done this way for too long. If only everyone in the world had an opportunity to take a class like this! I know my eyes have be opened so so many new concepts. If we all had the privilege to learn theses ideas, I really think that everyone would think differently, heck, some of this ideologies that we've learned in lecture and discussed as a class might even start to dissipate.

I agree with the person who said the world is build for able-bodies person.Some of the daily things that is normal for us like opening a door or going upstairs has been created for certain people.For example, stairs have been created for the person who is able to walk. A person who is not able to walk can not take the stairs so they have to find an alternative way to get to their destination. We sometimes we act like the world was created for certain people whether we are aware of it or not.

It's truly sad that the world is built for able-bodies rather than built for everyone. A particular theme that I talked about in my blog was the impact of media on ableism, the media portrays almost all people as being able rather than portraying all different kinds of people. The only time that media portrays disabled persons is in corny, sad commercials asking the public to donate money and portraying the disabled persons as helpless. I never really realized these things before class, and I agree that Engaging Justice would be a very helpful class for many people to open their eyes.