Blog 6 - Ability

So as I mentioned in our presentation, when we picked our subject of ableism, I spent a day pretending like I was in a wheelchair. I didn't use stairs for a whole day and always used handicapped entrances. What I found is that my day was totally different. Trying to find an entrance into Folwell Hall that was accessible to someone who had a physical disability was difficult.
Most areas around campus, such as ramps or entryways, that were made for those who are disabled seemed almost to be thrown in as an after thought. It seemed like the buildings were built for those who were able bodied, and people who disabled were only thought of after.
Not completely sure what to make this. Maybe our acceptance of all levels of ability has increased over time, so our buildings have changed as well. Whatever the case, hopefully in the near future all levels of ability can be accepted equally.