Blog 6

Recently we discussed Moya Bailey's article titled, "The Illest, " in which she talks about ableist language in hip hop. Then I got to thinking about how the music industry objectifies and exploits\ women and this doesnt necessarily need to take place in the lyrics, but it can also be in the music videos. I immediately thought of the music video for "Bat Country" by Avenged Sevenfold, which I've posted a link to. In this music video, there are women dancing around in lingerie and at one point, a women is covered in whipped cream. In another scene, they are on top of tables while the band members watch them. Later on in the scene, the music video shows two women licking eachothers tongue.

What scared me most when watching this video prior to having this class discussion was that it didn't really hit me that women were being exploited or objectified, which only meant that this happens so often that the majority of us dont even think about it.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHS3qJdxefY

Wow! I have never actually seen this video before, so that was really interesting thanks for sharing!.... Also I agree that the objectification of women is so subtle that it is almost common place now. I think to combat these things there would need to be a shift in the american culture. In comparison to other countries these kinds of things would not even be shown, because of the value place on female modesty. I am not saying that this is how the culture in the US should be, but there should be a change where women are more respected. In a lot of female hip hop videos you never see quite the same thing in the objectification of males, but it does happen on both sides. Artists need to be more conscious of the messages they are responding to and perpetuating.

Thanks for sharing that video. I think that was a good example of how misogyny runs rampant in other genres besides rap and hip-hop. Often I find that many male musicians of color (like Chris Brown) are criticized and bashed (deservedly so) while white men in the spotlight are not subject to the same scrutiny. For example, The Decemberists write some very violent and misogynist lyrics but I only ever hear SOME feminists calling them out on it. The Decemberists allow white liberal intellectuals to enjoy rape-y lyrics and get away with it. Artists like Chris Brown also gross me out to no end, but I am also skeptical of those who only target men of color for objectifying women. In order to end misogyny in the music industry, all musicians must be held accountable.

It's sad how the women just seem like objects on the bed. And as the above commentator stated, I barely even notice the objectification of women anymore. When men are objectified, such as in Magic Mike, everyone notices. However, now it's so common to see women in sexual situations that it barely registers on my radar.