DISABILITY SERVICES AT THE U (Blog 6)

"Insteaqd of asking 'how do you manage not being like (the non-stated) us?' (the negation argument), disability imaginareies think/speak/gesture and feel different landscapes not just for being -in-the-world, but on the conduction of perception, mobilities and temporalities Linton (1998a, p. 530) points out that the 'kin-aesthetic, proprioceptive, sensory and cognitive experiences' of disabled people as they go about their daily life have received limited attention. Nancy Mairs (1996) notes that a disability gaze is imbricated in every aspect of action, perception, occurrence and knowing." The Project of Ableism, by Fiona Cambell.

I chose this excerpt from the reading The Project of Ableism because I believe it points out just how out of mind the world view of the disabled is for able-bodied people, or at least myself.

This blog is about the University of Minnesota and the services the University provides for those with disabilities, both mental and physical.

Many are quick to criticize this University on it's presumed stance on accomodation of people with disabilities. For example, check out this article published in the Minnesota Daily in September.

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/09/25/navigating-u

Although this article is pretty useful in presenting a new perspective on the physical boudaries that are rampant at the University for people with disabilities, it is my opinion that the writer missed out on a better aspect of this University. Since the passage of the Americans With Disabilites Act in 1990 their has a been a substantial paradigm shift all across the nation, due in part to feminists, activists, and academics in the United States.
There is no doubt that the United States has one of the best stances on disability in the world. And this University is a great example of the change that is happening.

I invite anyone interested in this topic to check out this link to the videos posted on the University's Disability Services website, as I believe they really explain just how well this University is engaged with current discourse surrounding disability.

http://ds.umn.edu/about-us.html

I would like to end this blog on a story. When I was at a hearing on the Disability Services, I talked with a retentive who told me about when the TCF Bank Stadium was under development. She had a somewhat humorous tone in her voice when she told me that there was much frustration on behalf of the developers because many plans were sent back to them because they do not accommodate the many body types that are at the University. She said time after time we argued on behalf of the students that this project needs to be a shining example of the University's acceptance of all students, arguing that it truly needs to be if the University is concerned about its image. For where else is the University's image better represented than on the football field. I liked her last remark for its tongue-in-check overtone, but I appreciate even more that the this University was able to make one of the most accessible stadiums in the Big 10 (see final link).

http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2008/UR_CONTENT_088849.html