Laurie Hanson.

Hello, all!

I'm Laurie and I'm from Pasadena, California. I'm a transfer and returning student. I went to college for 3 years right after high school but didn't enjoy the school I was at, so I took 3 years off to fulfill a lifelong dream of traveling the world. During that time I really explored passions of mine that now mark my life in positive ways. I worked at a coffee shop and then moved to Boston for a year. I loved the weather and the bustle of living in the city. I came back home and really discovered the path I wanted for my life on a trip to visit a friend in Tanzania. She encouraged me to go back to school and is the main motivation for my return to academia. Two years of academic success while attending community college at home finally granted me the courage to transfer, so here I am!

During my years of self-exploration I found that I have a sensitivity for human rights and social justice. I am also very mindful of the political implications of activism and pacifism. As an African-American and African Studies major and GWSS minor I am seeking out many more opportunities to broaden my knowledge and perspective, hence my enrollment in this course. I am very much interested in the discussion and interpersonal communication that will arise throughout this semester.

ZanzibarianSunset.jpg

This picture is from a moment that I will cherish for the rest of my life. It is the Indian Ocean from the northern coast of Zanzibar - a small island off the coast of Tanzania. My trip to Africa changed my life for the better and will always be near and dear to my heart. This is the final sunset on that epic trip and represents so much more to me than beauty. It presents itself as the marriage of my passions and self-fulfillment.

I very much look forward to getting to know you all better. Thank you, Professor Isoke for allowing us the freedom to present ourselves and encouraging community!

Laurie, I give you so much credit for the travel that you have done. I love that you pursued your passion and dream even though it must have been difficult to leave school. Sometimes life just doesn't play out as normally expected, and it seems that those spontaneous moments are the moments that make life special and fulfilling. I hope I always have your same courage to pursue a dream!

Laurie, I think that it is great that you took time off school to travel!

This is a really nice blog Laurie. I think it's wonderful that you are a traveller. I myself love traveling. I have a similar picture as my desktop from my time in Thailand so I can appreciate the memories pictures can bring back.