Marginalization

I wanted to continue the discussion of marginalization that we started in class but couldn't finish because of our time constraint. I was very surprised that no one brought of the incredible marginalization of the gay community. Off the top of my head, I'm not allowed to visit my dying partner in the hospital and I can be fired in over half the United States for my sexual identity. Gay sex is also still illegal in many straights, not to mention the obvious illegality of gay marriage. There are over 1000 rights that gay people are denied along with the right to be married, several of which I have listed. The marginalization of the gay community is different than discrimination of other minority groups because sexual identity isn't visibly marked like race or gender. However, many people dress in a way that marks their sexuality as non-normative which immediately makes them subject to discrimination and harassment, which I've experienced firsthand.