David/Brenda Blog 3

When we read the David/Brenda article I was especially shocked at the whole secretive process and the things David suffered from. I found it very shocking that so many children were born unknown genders. I think of all the babies that I know have been born and think what if these kids were born unknown? How would I handle this? I like to think I would be totally accepting and that as the child matured the child would make a decision of the life they would lead. Everyone likes to put themselves in to a position and think they would have done the right thing but in reality if is very unrealistic to think that is true.I have babysat my whole life and I think about what I would have done if I was asked to babysit a child with no gender identity, what the parents would have done? Many parents want a daughter or they want a son, they don't want a child that doesn't have a specified gender.

After class I was thinking about it further and I was thinking about all the social turmoil a kid like David would go through. Its sad, but true, that a boy that didn't live up to the "size standards" of other boys would suffer a lot in the locker room. Men (and woman) point out and make fun of others just to put themselves above others.

So why does gender identity have to be such a black and white thing in society? Why can't anyone be accepting of something other than male and female? Everyone that heards the David/Brenda story will talk about how horrifying that is and how someone should never have to go through that. If that was really true then David/Brenda wouldn't have gone through that because he would have been accepted in society no matter what medical accident occured.

I like the point that you are bringing up. Our society is so firmly based on a black and white view of gender. There is very little room for the shades of gray. In our society, one who finds themselves in "the shades of gray" is set up for instant rejection and struggle. In all areas of society, whether it is family, workplace, education, sports, other activities, there are gender roles firmly in place and there are firm statutes of what is acceptable and what is unacceptable in terms of gender. This need to choose male or female is a force that is becoming very detrimental to those who are not at that stage.
I also like the point that you are making when you pointed out that, even though we would like to say we would make the right choice, a lot of us wouldn't have if faced with the situation. This leads to the question, what does need to happen in order to move for social change in terms of gender identity?