Final Blog

How to define justice...a question we have gotten so many times in GWSS this semester it should be as easy as one two three to answer. I personally define justice as treating someone as an equal no matter what the circumstance. Sounds simple right? WRONG. If justice was simple we wouldn't have discussed it so often. It is a simple concept- the golden rule! but it is not a simple thing to actually carry through. Justice should ignore skin color, race and class and treat everyone as if they are the same.
If there is one thing that GWSS has taught me it is justice. I started out GWSS getting frustrated every day because we talked about white privilege so often that I was getting frustrated. I felt judge because I was white. One day I was talking to another kid about the class and I was saying how it always made me mad that people said these things about white people and so on when he laughed and said I think you have a case of white guilt. I was, of course, quick to defend myself in the situation but after I thought about it I realized he was right, I did. I always thought of myself as not racist and one of the "good people" when it came to any talks about racism. GWSS taught me that although I didn't participate in anything racist I didn't do anything to stop it or do anything about it. That is what GWSS has taught me, you can act like you're not part of the problem but if you aren't trying to fix it, you are still part of the problem. GWSS also taught me about privilege. I never really realized that in order to be privileged someone had to be underprivileged. I realized that in a lot of situations I was privileged but in other situations, mostly dealing with men, I was underprivileged. GWSS has made me more aware about my life, my country, and my world. Although I can't say that I loved every reading we covered in class I can honestly say that this class is the class I learned the most about myself in, and so far in college is a class I will look back on and reference all my life because of all the eye openers I was exposed to.

I was the same way as you at the beginning of the semester where I would leave class frustrated because of discussions. I began to realize that it is ok to feel that guilt because that means it is getting through to you. It helps you realize you don't want that feeling so you should change it. Like you said, if you aren't trying to fix the problem, you are a part of it, by choice or not. I think this is completely what is wrong with our world. It is obvious that there are serious problems in the world right now in all areas that we have covered throughout class this semester, but people claim "I am not racist" or "I'm not against gay marriage," but even if that is true to themselves, if they aren't actually promoting that in any way other then their inner feelings, they are not creating justice for others. This is just a never ending cycle because so few people are trying to forcefully fix things. If people, including myself, actually took the time and effort to fix a problem, justice would be served to so many more people.