Final Blog

When I first came into this class, I expected feminism to be men vs. women. Now that the class is coming to an end, I have learned that feminism goes beyond that. It incorporates racism, ageism, ableism, and much more. With those in mind, I have realized how privileged I am to be getting a higher education and how "abled" I am. So overall, I believe feminism is beyond men and women, feminism is the fight for justice in every way possible.

This class has also changed my opinion on what "justice" is. Before, I was completely for the death penalty because I thought it brought those we suffered from the person "justice." However, after our class discussions and readings, I've realized that this form of justice is not spiritually or ethically correct. The only way to achieve a sense of peace or justice is by incorporating Leela Fernandez's spirituality; love, compassion, forgiveness, and harmony.

What I first thought coming into the class:

181593_1494965549053_1681511647_906607_4762047_n_large.jpg

For the Laughs.

I completely agree with you about how justice no longer seems about achieving retribution and punishing those who committed some sort of crime. Justice really has very little to do with punishing those who have done wrong, because really, what does that accomplish? Does it really make the victim feel better? No.

I can completely identify with your transition in your views of feminism. I too entered this class with the idea that feminism was strictly concerned with women proving themselves as equal to men. In fact, on the first day of class I was upset to hear that our work would focus primarily on feminism. I was hoping to have a class that would expand beyond feminism (as I knew it). Little did I know, the class would do exactly that. I have been so pleased to be able to evaluate so many different issues, and how these issues are all related to feminism in a broader sense. The concept of feminism, as I have come to understand it now, is much more of a word used to describe the technique of domineering ANY identity that one deems inferior. This type of definition allows feminism to be an over-arching category to which all of our social justice discussions have been linked. Since taking this class, I can definitely say that my respect for those who call themselves "feminists" has changed. I even find myself identifying more closely with that term since taking this class. If I had to say the one thing that has changed me the most from this class, though, I would say it was tolerance for ambiguity. Although I never really considered myself judgmental, I can see now how even my inherent desire to know someone's gender bought into the socially constructed norms of what gender should be and look like. I really believe that this class helped me to open my mind to concepts that I had never considered before. This class also helped me to modify concepts that I had considered before but never given any real critical consideration to, because I had just accepted certain ideas as common place. I am very pleased to say that my ideas are now changing!

Similarily, I thought that we would be learning about how we can equalize the way society treats/views men and women. Even though this was indeed a central concept, I found it interesting that most of the stuff we talked about goes way beyond that. Not only should we fight for women's rights, but also the rights of other oppressed groups such as minorities, disabled people, people of color, and people who do not associate with heterosexism. I also really like the image you included!