Final Blog

As many others have stated, this class was truly eye opening and I feel as though my outlook and perspective on the world has changed immensely. Coming into the class I had really no idea how to define justice to encompass the many faces of injustice that we talked about during class. I thought that justice was merely something that was found in courtrooms and something that the police or government had control over. Taking this course has made me realize that everyone can live a life of social justice and advocate for others that are less privileged. Justice can then be identified as the willingness and actions to enhance the lives of others by breaking down societal norms and models that are oppressive.

Before this class started I thought a lot differently about the world because I was ignorant. I was living proof that "ignorance is bliss." Although I knew that there was an inherent privilege that was something about white supremacy, I felt as though I was not "a player in this game" because on one hand, I didn't exactly know that this "game" even existed, and on the other hand I did not see myself as racist. As Kevin Graham classified the three types of roles played in of white supremacy , I fell into the passive role, the one that benefits from the oppression of groups but does not support it. I now know and understand why I played that role, which makes it possible for me to change.

peace.jpg

"Recognizing the power of the erotic within our lives can give us the energy to pursue genuine change within our world, rather than merely settling for a shift of characters in the same weary drama." -Audre Lorde

I used to be the same way when it came to issues of social justice. I never really fell into any of the oppressed groups besides being female, so it never felt like a priority of mine to explore those other groups and the things that cause them to be oppressed. But like your, after taking this class I also feel more responsible and willing to take matters into my own hands when it comes to my white privilege, which may mean kissing some of those privileges goodbye so that others have more opportunities!

p.s. I like this image =]