Group 5: Gender Justice Blog

We examined how society, not only the media, has created and fostered a strict gender binary in our world, and especially in the United States. Even the smallest aspects of life, like public restrooms, affect those who do not identify with the typical male/female gender roles. We live in a place that unfortunately does not provide a place for the transgendered and disgendered people who choose not to conform to the stereotypical idea of what it means to be a boy or a girl, a man or a woman. Many people are still very uncomfortable with the idea of a person not conforming to the gender that matches with the sex he/she was born with--the story of David Reimer (David vs. Brenda) and his parents' decision is a perfect example. This polarized gender binary is so prevalent that even kids around the ages of 3-4 already have firm ideas about what it means to be a boy or a girl (which can be seen in this youtube video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWc1e3Nbc2g

This is an article about Taco Bell and a discriminating radio ad that offended many transgendered, and eventually led to a law suit.
http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/0/24/Transphobic_Taco_Bell_Ads_Still_Running/

However, between universities and organizations like the Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition (http://www.mntranshealth.org/) taking steps to provide resources for the transgendered and disgendered members of our world, we are slowly taking steps towards becoming a more open society in which people will no longer have to fear being ostracized and isolated, but instead can thrive. They may only be baby steps, but every little bit counts.

I found your video with the children very interesting! What do you think elementary schools can do to make it gender neutral in schools?

I also agree with Simar. I find your blog very thought provoking and how these young kids already have such a distinct view on girls and boys. However, I feel like even though we work to create a gender neutral society, it will take a lot of work and many changes of viewpoints, which will take many years.

I think baby steps is the only way in which a societal shift can happen to make the "big" change we need to happen. I think that with younger generations being more open about gender and more open minded about life in general that the changes we need will be happening more frequently and more powerfully. What specifically is the U doing about these kinds of situations?

The video definitely added to your presentation, I found myself a little offended when the children responded to questions such as "Who goes to work" and "who takes care of the babies, and likes to clean the house." I believe that in our society the only way we can work towards equality and gender justice is by not teaching our children these societal identifiers and stereotypes. If anything, what do you think US governmental policy could do to help those gender neutral individuals?

I think this blog/presentation goes into the heart of our class completely because of the long ago rooted ideas of our society. Straight is the norm, man and woman are the genders, and then we can go into race as a whole different idea. I think this may be a little more personal of an idea but will this change how you see children in the gender aspect or how you raise your children? The whole idea of a daughter playing with guns or a son playing with barbies and seeing how parents would react even if they don't believe in gender binaries would be very interesting.