Thoughts on Kum-Kum Bhavanni

I just wanted to reflect on some of the things that were discussed last Thursday in class while discussing the Kum Kum Bhavanni article. I was really fascinated by this article and the context of it. Going from an upper class in India, to a working class status and lifestyle is a drastic change. I feel like this is particularly relevant in America today as Americans face financial struggles in many areas of life. Many businsess owners are having to face the facts that once being extremely successful, is not the same successful today. Many households are having to have both spouses find work, a lot of times not even that high ranking of a job, but just any job, to help get some more money around the house. I know a family who underwent an extreme change in social status like Kum-Kum. The father owned a few banks. They built their own mansion, the kids went to private schools and the mother didn't work, only carpooled in her escalade. Not even one year after moving into their house the banks went bankrupt and they lost all their money. Their house was foreclosed and they moved to an apartment and new public school. The mom and dad both had to find new work, anything to make ends meet. They struggled immensely. I feel like the story can't end there though. Just as Kum-Kum fought through her battles and worked to get her PHD, others who struggle in the working class shouldn't feel like they have to give up and accept what they have and not reach higher in life. I feel that everyone should be able to feel justice in the sense that they have the same opportunities to succeed even though they may be in a different class. Just as we discussed the definition of justice in Kum-Kums life as maybe the idea of willing and able to move across boundaries of ideologies, no matter what the social status is, should be achievable for all.
I just really find stories like this eye opening and wanted to share some thoughts on it. No one should have any excuses for not being able to be successful, there should be oppotrunity for all no matter where you are coming from.

I agree with you when you say that the story can't end here. Many families have been effected economically and I believe that they shouldn't allow that minor setback to control their whole lives. But you're right, this story is very eye-opening. We see people who have it all, and we wish that we could be in their shoes so badly. We fail to realize sometimes how easily everything can slip away. I'm sure the experience was even more eye opening to the family. Living in an apartment with both adults working is not an uncommon thing. It's a drastic change, but by no means is it impossible.

One of my closest friends went through the same thing; they moved to America from South Africa to escape the violence and crime, but their money lost a lot of valuing moving here. They bought a huge home in Phoenix, had expensive cars, and they owned a couple restaurants around town. Then, the market crashed and they pretty much lost everything. They were accustomed to having maids in Johannesburg, but in America they had to manage on their own. Her father went from two restaurants, to one, then none. He had a difficult time even starting up a business because of his background as a foreigner. My friend is still struggling with it, as she wishes she never came here, but this kind of struggle is something that either crushes someone or they move on through.