Recently in Blog #1 Category

Forfeiting White Privilege

This article is a great eye-opener to the unfair advantage given to white americans through their interactions with other white americans, who have systematically rooted themselves into a dominant position in politics, finance, media, etc. This makes it much easier for any white americans to move freely and do what they please without confronting any kind of racial barriers. Leveling these barriers, according to the author, requires those with said privileges to forfeit them. I just wonder how exactly that can be done.

Post Regarding White Privilege

In regard to our class conversation today, wrapping up our discussion on White Privilege- I had some thoughts about how to think about white dominance.
I know that there were several people in the class who were rather uncomfortable or upset about the acknowledgement of white privilege and what that means. Like anything, realizing something is other than what you initially believed it to be, is a trying and maybe even earth-shattering experience.
For those people in class who are just now confronting their privileges as a white people for the first time, it should not be taken as offensive or as a undue racist label, but as an opportunity to change the society in which we all live and to change one's own life. I think learning to reevaluate the world, specifically our country, through a lens of racial justice helps those of us who dominate, be more appreciative of what we have not earned, and see the necessity of allowing others all of the human rights which we claim for ourselves. Challenging one's paradigm and reality needs to happen everyday; it is easy to fall back into line in our society while others bear the weight of inequity.
So, rather than be upset for too long, I think it is a rare opportunity to change one's ideals, reality, as well as the world around us and make room for our fellow people who have too long been ignored.
It is not racist or hateful to be unaware. However, once an alternative narrative or reality has been told, not acting or not listening is the same as compliance with the institutions of dominance that exist.

white privilege response..

It has been four days since our class discussion about Peggy McIntosh's article "White Privilege", and after taking some time to step back and think more about the topic at hand I realized white privilege will not fade. This whole idea that "If it ain't White, it ain't right" is here to stay. And while that may seem like a grim outlook on society's progression, it is fact, white privilege is a staple in American society. It is the basis of American society. There are too many aspects of life in America that give its white citizens an unfair advantage over all other ethnic groups. And I firmly believe that while Peggy McIntosh is an exception to the rule, White Americans will not forfeit the privileges that have been embedded within.

Who I Am

Hi everyone,
My name is Alyssa McCoy. I'm a freshman at the U. I'm majoring in Pre Med and hope to become a surgeon some day, but for now I'm just glad to be here, and I am so stoked to be in the big city. I come from a super small town of less than 3,000 people; Watertown, MN is this tiny "hick town." I definitely consider myself a city girl; I'm in love with Minneapolis. I've lived in Minnesota for approximately seven years, growing up I was an army brat. It wasn't until I moved to Watertown that I realized I was considered a minority. I'm half Filipino and half Caucasian, but I take after my mom in the looks department, and my filipino features outshine the rest. All throughout middle school and high school I was 1 out of 5 students of color; To say the least, I'm definitely excited about the diversity at the university.

250501_10150639530420574_658210573_19157544_3211665_n_2.jpg

This is my sister, my mini me. I love her more than anything. She means so much to me; she turns four in a few months, and I can't wait to show her this world. I want her to know she's special and beautiful no matter what people tell her. I'm glad I'll be able to teach her to be proud of who she is.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Blog #1 category.

Articles is the previous category.

Lecture Notes is the next category.