« No! Presentation | Main | Final Blog »

Nelly defends tip drill

I also found this interesting video on the web . We watched this yesterday at our presentation also. It is interesting because we were just talking about how rappers will sometimes do things that are good things, like Nelly talking about bone marrow donation, but on the flip he is also causing many black women pain. Why doesn't he answer any of the questions? What do you guys think? Here is the link-

http://necolebitchie.com/2008/08/26/nelly-defends-tip-drill

Honestly I wasn't shocked when he kept avoiding the question. Rappers like Nelly don't see what they do as something that is wrong..they see it as a job and if the women decide that they want to be in the videos that's on them..they are grown and they can make their own decisions..they know what the lyrics are saying yet they still chose to take part..these women should be the last ones complaining about how women are being degraded because by them being in the videos they are saying that what these men rap about is ok..it's ok so "superman" a woman, call her a bitch and hoe, and worst of all slide a credit card down the crack of her butt. These rappers disgust me and I can't believe that I used to listen to the music but I can say that for me it was about the beat not the lyrics but because I danced to it I was saying that it was ok..but once I really took the time out to listen to the lyrics I cut it all off immediately..I'm trying to get my fiance to do the same but it's not easy because like me he loves the beats and there are certain rappers that he loves such as Lil Wayne and Lloyd Banks.. I just wish things would go back to the way they used to be.

I was discussing this whole idea with my male roommate the other week and we had a really interesting conversation. I was talking about these depictions and calling women "bitches" relentlessly. He brought up a rapper, Wale, who expresses a response to the opponents of this kind behavior by rappers. He states:

Bitches ain't shit, but women ain't bitches,
See, women are the queens, and bitches just bitches.

My roommate's point, backed up by this, was that when a hip hop artist uses language like this, they are referring to individuals and people that they actually think fit into that term. Wale goes on to say that when women use it, it is okay, but when men do they are attacked. I explained to my roommate that despite the so-called directed use of the term, it perpetuates the idea of acceptability for listeners who may not be able to distinguish. People like that have a lot of power in their positions and they must use it wisely.