« Final Blog | Main | Hip Hop Trivia Questions »

Asher Roth

After our discussion of Asher Roth in class, I went on YouTube to listen to something by him other than "I Love College," so I could hear his more progressive music myself. The first thing I listened to was this one, the "A Millie Remix," which I liked, but doubt it will ever make it to the radio airwaves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp50arOSlAY

But there is also this, a response to the songs that Roth makes like "I Love College:"

Homeless- Arms (An Open Letter to Asher Roth)

A call to arms for all those who reside under the genre of hip-hop.

I find the Asher Roth situation very interesting. I have listened to his music a little bit before and have to say "I Love College" was pretty disappointing, but his other tracks were okay -- nothing as crazy as "I Love College". It's been really interesting to see my friends who are/ have been white rappers take on Asher Roth as this sell out that would do anything to get on MTV. I've seen many people have serious vendettas against the man and his music. I don't necessarily think he's very good at what he does, nor does he promote anything positive for young college students who may have been trying to stay away from partying and drinking, BUT, I think if we are having a conversation about Asher Roth, we need to have a conversation about every other rapper out there that promotes binge drinking or partying or disrespecting women. It seems pretty clear to me that much of the negative attention towards Asher Roth (though it is deserved), is not given to other rappers who are not white. Is the only reason people are caring now is because Asher Roth is affecting white communities?

I find this situation interesting as well. I was not aware of Asher Roth's music that carried other messages. After reviewing "I Love College", his A Milli remix, and the open letter, I'm not sure what I think. I'm curious if Roth is being sincere with his college song, or if he is being sarcastic about the ridiculous nature of many facets of college life. The fact that he has expressed more useful music makes me question his current intentions. However, whether he is joking or not, he cannot give the public enough credit as to assume they will understand this.

I also agree with Moira in that the heavy focus on Roth's music seems distracted from the fact that this is prevalent in a great majority of mainstream hip hop, and it must all be looked at critically to start to alter the state.