« Videos to think about (Final Blog) | Main | Asher Roth »

Final Blog

So this is a little late, but I wanted to expand on our discussion about misogyny, sexism, and homophobia in other forms of music besides hip hop. I'll just give a few examples of what I've found.
Rolling Stones - "Under My Thumb"
Some Lyrics:
Its down to me, oh yeah
The way she talks when shes spoken to
Down to me, the change has come,
Shes under my thumb
Yeah, it feels alright

Under my thumb
Her eyes are just kept to herself
Under my thumb, well I
I can still look at someone else

There's a song by Kenny Rogers called "Coward of the County" about a man who avenges his lover's gang rape by killing a bunch of people. There's also one called "catholic girls" that is interesting.

I guess my point is to agree with our discussion in class that these sorts of offensive lyrics are not just in hip hop/rap. If you search for misogyny in music though, you're likely to find a bunch of information on hip hop and misogyny.

I agree, misogyny is not only present in hip hop, and I think the reason that the spotlight often gets shifted back over to hip hop is because the hip hop generation is clearly an easy scape goat.

When Katie was talking about the middle class ideals of respectability, it got me thinking about how hip hop now is kind of viewed like rock and roll used to be. It used to kind of be the rebellious fight back music, but now has become so mainstream that it stopped getting questioned.

Same concept that we have gone over for so long...the majority gets away with so much more because they so often go unquestioned.

I've always had a difficult time with pinning misogyny in music directly on hip hop, although I think it's easy to do because it is undeniably the culture that spawned the most popular form of music that exists right now.

I think that it's worth noting, as well, that as rap evolved throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, a lot of hair metal bands were very popular and on the Top 40. Essentially, dudes doing a very weird thing by dressing up like women to hate on women.

And I'm pretty sure that I have never heard anything more misogynistic than the GnR lyrics which go:

"Ya get nothin' for nothin'
If that's what you do
Turn around bitch I got a use for you
Besides you ain't got nothin' better to do
And I'm bored"

AND you see a lot of the same glorification of objectifying / hurting women and abusing substances and being rich within this genre.

I think this gets incredibly complex, even just within the bounds of hip hop itself. There is an underground hip hop artist named Immortal Technique that I meant to bring up during discussion the past few weeks but never got around to it. It is a very outspoken political activist, rapping extensively about religion, social issues, and racism. I appreciate these aspects to him and his willingness and speak his mind to the absolute fullest, but his lyrics having horribly sexist and homophobic overtones at times. It frustrates me because he is such a strong figure speaking about issues, and if he threw gender and sexual equality into the mix, I think he could have a strong impact on his listeners. I'm often baffled by his complete 180 when it comes to those subjects. For someone who is such a strong advocate for people's rights, he is avoiding a huge topic he could do good for. As much as I appreciate other aspects to his music, I have trouble moving past this roadblock.