Hip Hop Trivia Questions
Click here to view a sample of hip hop trivia questions that may appear on your final exam.
Hip Hop Trivia—Multiple Choice
1. The four core elements of hip hop are rapping, dee-jaying, break dancing and graffiti. What is the frequently omitted “fifth element” of hip hop?
2. Which New York City borough is credited with being hip hop’s place of origin?
3. What was the name of the group who produced the first nationally distributed 1979 single called, “Rapper’s Delight?”
4. Which of the following artists are not acknowledged as being one of the “founding fathers of hip hop?”
A. Afrika Bambaataa B. Kurtis Blow C. Dee-jay Kool Herc
D. The Rapping Duke
5. Which of the following artists would not be considered “politically astute” or “conscious” as defined by writers like, Mark Anthony Neal, Bakari Kitwana, Gwen Pough, Imani Perry, or Michael Eric Dyson?
A. Tupac Shakur B. Queen Latifah C. Lauryn Hill
D. Lil Kim E. MC Hammer
6. Which of the following female emcees is best known for performing the female “badman” trope?
A. Salt N’ Peppa B. Eve C. Foxy Brown D. Queen Latifah
7. Which of the following female emcees did not utilize the Queen Mother trope of Black womanhood in their performance?
A. Lauryn Hill B. Queen Latifah C. Medusa D. Boss
8. “Bringing wreck” refers to:
A. Refusing to purchase misogynist hip hop music
B. Female hip hop artists and activists using for elements of hip hop to challenge sexism, misogyny, and homophobia in hip hop
C. Taking or teaching a class on hip hop politics
D. None of the above
E. All of the above.
9. What rapper video taped multiple sexual assaults on his former
hairdresser for allegedly stealing money?
A. 50 Cent B. Mystical C. Public Enemy D. Ice Cube
10. How much time did he spend in jail?
A. Two years B. Five months C. 10 years D. No time
11. Which is not a core aesthetic feature of the African American oral tradition that is commonly used in a lot of hip hop music?
A. Call and response B. Storytelling C. Rhyming
D. Improvisation E. None of the Above
12. Which of the following social movements/social phenomenon have not shaped hip hop culture?
A. The Black Power Movement B. Black Nationalism C. The Civil Rights Movement D. Consumerism E. The Women’s Rights Movement
13. How many counts of child pornography was R. Kelly indicted for in 2002?
A. 5 B. 12 C. 21 D. None
14. Which of the following commonly used stereotypic images do not fall into the “Strong Black Woman” trope?
A. Black Bitch B. Mammy C. Educated Bitch D. Tragic Mulatto
15. What does the acronym “E.A.” stand for? Which prominent hip hop generation artist often fall into this category?