Blog #1 pop culture women

Honestly, I don't have too much to say about hip hop. I mean I like it, respect it, but its not a daily part of my life. The first time I was exposed to hip hop is a little hazy. Possibly on MTV, or some film?? My first impression of hip hop is that I found it to be cool and confident, real. I felt like an outsider because I had never seen it before, and it was never a part of my daily life. Especially because I grew up in a predominately white area, unfortunately.. The first time I was kind of into hip hop was when I began to listen to rapper eminem around when I was 13. Other than that, I am slowly becoming more and more appreciative of hip hop culture. Whether this means having friends who are apart of hip hop culture, listening to hip hop and/or black artists (santigold, dessa, atmosphere, spoken word, slam poetry, poetry, jazz-Billie Holiday, Thelonious Monk, and etc),acknowledging racism and our history, etc.

I chose this image because the part of my life that involves the most hip hop would be my love for jazz, thus, here is a saxophone.

sax (1).jpeg

Thanks for posting. Make sure that you upload an image with your blog!

I am in a similar situation! I'm still kind of new to the culture as a whole. I don't know many artists besides the ones that I have danced to in class. I have loved what I have been exposed to in my life so far and feel like it's all so real and all has a story behind it. That is the main reason that I took this class, to learn that story behind it and overall learn more about the culture as a whole, not just the music. I also started with an Eminem phase! Like you it's not a part of my daily life but also not something I shut out of my life and I also learn to appreciate it more each and every day.

I have a similar situation as well. As far as my relation to hip hop, I am fairly distance. Not by choice, but I suppose somewhat. I grew up in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, a large suburb outside Minneapolis. When I was growing up, what i listened to is what my parents listened to, which was not hip hop, but not far from it. Not so surprisingly my first experience with hip hop was also in my middle school days. Mine was Eminem as well, and probaly 50 cent. I don't remember having an opinion of them, just liking them and dancing to them at school dances.