Blog #1

Growing up in a household mainly listening to Chinese music, I wasn't exposed to hip hop until I was in middle school. I actually still remember the first rap song I listened to, it was quite popular on MTV (back when they actually played music). It was Just A Moment by Nas ft. Quan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-btJF4q3tI

I actually remember thinking, "Wow, this is actually good music with meaningful lyrics." But as time went on and the music scene changed, my views changed as well. Now the only hip hop I hear are about (sorry for the cliche) sex, drugs, and money. It may be because of my friends' tastes in music, oops. Even at the beginning of my hip hop exposure, I felt that it was funny for me, an Asian girl, to be listening to rap music. So when I was younger I used to listen to it privately every once in awhile. Although I'm older now, I still feel odd listening to this type of music because I feel like there is no relation at all, but it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it!

I totally get what you mean-- a lot of the mainstream hip hop seems unrelatable for anyone who isn't a rap superstar. But as ridiculous as a lot of it is, it doesn't mean that just because we don't enjoy the beats, lyrics and humor of it. I don't listen to a ton of hip hop, but I have heard a lot of stuff lately from local artists who are a lot more relatable, and I have been loving it. Hopefully we'll have a chance to explore some of that in this class.

I feel just like you (but when I am back in Serbia). I used to listen to Serbian hip hop a lot when I was younger. Back then I did not mind what people are going to think of me. As I grew up it started getting tougher since I had to be mora serious and in order to achieve my goals I had to follow the 'non-rebel' behaviour. There we come to the point. I think that there are a lot of prejudices about hip hop, especially in a country like Serbia. One do not listen to hip hop if s/he wants to achieve something. Older people in my country would see you as a kid without any culture. Personally, I think their point of view is ridiculous. First, hip hop is a type of music available like any other type of music. Secondly,it does not mean that someone is not going to be succesful just because s/he is listening to hip hop. Like I said this is a sad story of close-minded people from my country. Often I felt like I enjoy listening to that music but then society would prevent me. I hope that will change with this class.

Its funny the way hip-hop has been criticized in the time its been around. The first song I can ever remember thinking had meaningful lyrics was a hip-hop song, so I know what you mean when you recall the first rap song you heard. I've never been a huge fan of the hip-hop genre in general, but I think that any genre can have good and meaningful music, and its wrong for people to stereotype it. Hell, I don't really get dubstep, but I haven't criticized it, as for all I know there are artists making meaningful dubstep tracks. Maybe.