Hip Hop Feminism According to Morgan

After reading, discussing, and viewing hip hop feminism in this Pop Culture Women class, I have been given the ability to describe what hip hop feminism means to me. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines feminism as and organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests or the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. Although feminism and hip hop feminism go hand in hand, I believe that hip hop feminism is grounded in the black feminist thought and hip hop feminists use the popularity of hip hop to give recognition to women of color. I also view it as the lived experience of being a black female and using their stories to help make a movement. One quote by Durham stating, "Hip-hop feminists recognize hip-hop hegemony in this movement, and use its popularity to turn a spotlight on the social conditions of women of color," was appealing to me because it describes how I view hip hop feminism. Hip hop feminism is important because it is clear that much more needs to be done because African women are oppressed at every level in the power structure and the liberation of women has the potential to change the whole structure and the way it functions. A key component that stood out to me in the readings was a statement that Durham made in "Home Girls Make Some Noise," and it was, "In both spaces, young black women seemed to have no voice. Hip-hop feminists - whether donning the label or not - are the voices from both traditions." Durham's point in saying this is that hip hop feminists are the voices that need to change what is going on and allow black women to have a voice.

One community space that one can find hip-hop feminism in the Twin Cities would be right in my hometown of Champlin, MN. Here there is a female hip-hop team that meets weekly to come up with new performances to perform in many different crowds. One crowd in which is my high school, Champlin Park High School. They perform here in order to display hip-hop feminism and make a difference in the way in which black women are viewed. They make the point that they do have voice and can make a difference through their performance. Their performances are always a crowd favorite because they have such a lasting effect that resonates throughout the room.

Race, gender, ethnicity, and geographic location figure greatly into hip hop feminism. Males view hip-hop feminism differently than women. No doubt about it. Women are the ones trying to make their voice more dominant than the males, which are why males and females view hip hop feminism and feminism differently. Geographic location makes a huge difference because throughout the world, hip-hop feminism is viewed differently. In some locations, black women seem to have more of a voice than at other locations. Thus, why hip-hop feminism is more dominant in some areas, because they are still trying to get their voice out there. Race also plays a dominant role because each race views hip hop feminism slightly different. Although it varies from individual to individual, I believe that their race also has a small effect on their view of it.

Here you will see my hometowns women's step team which strongly displays hip-hop feminism.