Hip Hop Feminism at the U of M

To me, hip hop feminism means giving a voice to the voiceless- women. This can be done through art, poetry, rap, music, dance, etc. It also is done so in a way that does not objectify women or turn them into a commodity. Something that stood out to me in the Whitney Peoples reading was the quote, "blacks served as commodities- objects purchased, controlled, and sold by others" (23). This quote grabbed my attention because colored women are turned into commodities in the hip hop realm without people even realizing it. Of course there is the issue of appropriation as well. People try to steal the culture without any appreciation/acknowledgement of where the culture originated from. Hip hop feminism challenges appropriation and commodification in order for women of color to be seen as intelligent and successful as the white male. However, people of all races and genders may participate in this movement for equality.

Last year I went to a Voices Merging open mic night for the first time. For those of you who don't know what this is, it's an on campus group in which people share their talents (usually dancing, singing, and most popularly, poetry). This is done to promote "Urban rights." The dominant genre for Voices Merging is slam poetry, a form of poetry that sounds something like rap. I've attached a video of Voices Merging so you may enjoy the talent too! Anyone is invited to open mic nights, which are help on campus every Monday. Go to http://voicesmerging.webs.com for more information.

I have never heard of the Voices Merging open mic night before, but that video was really great. I really like and appreciate that you said hip hop feminism gives a voice to the "voiceless woman." Women in general I find have the most difficult time getting their thoughts and feelings recognized. The use of hip hop, art, poetry and dance definately gives women the opportunity to have their voices heard by demonstrating it in a positive and creative way. Awesome blog!!

I like the quoute you chose. That fact really grabbed my atention. Of course I studied about black people and their hard life and I read so many things about it but reading of black people as things shocks me again and again. I want to work for UNICEF one day and I always had that picture of equality in my mind. Coming here and studying here I realized that it is not just the problem of politics and economy but it goes deeper to experience and feelings. That cannot be easily changed. Unfortunately my idea of current equality is dying but my hope and will to work on that is growing really fast as I read the articles.
As I am writing this I am listening to the link you posted. It seems to be really interesting. So many ways they present themselves and their experience.

I really enjoyed your blog! I have been to Voices Merging but completely forgot about it. When I attended one I was moved in so many ways by what people had to say that it brought me to tears. Great blog and way to use something that is offered on campus!