Blog 2: Hip Hop Feminism in the Twin Cities

Before reading the Peoples and Anderson articles, I really had not thought of or heard of hip hop feminism. I did not think that the two ideologies could go hand in hand. Whenever I think of hip hop, the first thing that pops into my head is the hyper-sexuality of women, and I do not associate that with feminist ideals. The Peoples (2008) article gave me a very good idea of what hip hop feminism is truly about with the quote " hip-hop feminism might be best understood as a means of reconciliation and reclamation on the part of young black women in the U.S. trying to create a space for themselves between the whiteness and/or academically sanitized versions of university based feminism". It really stood out to me that hip hop feminism relates mainly to black feminism. After reading the previous articles on the origins of hip-hop, it makes sense to me that hip hop feminism would focus on black feminism, but I also feel there is an emphasis on feminism as a whole. Although women of different cultures are affected by anti-feminist ideologies in different ways, I feel there are many anti-feminist ideals that affect all women. I think it is extremely smart for women to express their feminist ideologies in hip hop since hip hop has become such a major part of the American life and culture. I like the idea that women in hip hop can use it as a dialogue with the men in hip hop, to express their thoughts and feelings on what the men are saying and doing to the stereotype of black women. Hip hop has created and reinforced certain stereotypes of black women, and women in general. It is powerful for women to fight back with hip hop. Peoples (2008) talked about the idea of a dialogue. The dialogue is described as having three main issues of "the constitution of black feminist identity, black feminist approach to engaging in hip hop, and relevance of contemporary black feminist activist strategies". Hip hop feminism is not a way for women to portray themselves as victims of a masculine ruled society, but it is a way for women to express how strong, independent, and powerful they are.
When I think of hip hop feminism, I think of female involvement in the hip hop scene. There are some hip hop males who promote feminism in their work. Until I had discussed the idea of hip hop feminism with a friend, I had no idea that Atmosphere had songs promoting feminism. After this conversation, I proceeded to google Atmosphere and feminism. An article from the Harvard Crimson (2008) discusses Atmosphere's involvement in feminism. It states that the song "Dreamer" promotes and emphasizes feminism.
Along with Minneapolis Artists promoting hip hop feminism, there is the B-Girl Be summit, which started in 2005, that brings light to hip hop feminism in the cities. It is a program that not only allows girls to showcase their talent, but to become educated on the topic. Women of all cultures and ages join together to share knowledge and experiences of hip hop feminism. The core mission of B-Girl Be is to inspire female leadership for future generations.

The video I chose to go with this blog is basically an overview of what the B-Girl Be summit is about.