Hip Hop Feminism

Coming into this class I honestly didn't really know what to expect. I figured there were going to be some controversial issues that would be discussed and most likely people would get defensive and argue but as I sit in class and listen to what others have to say I am finding out more than I could have ever imagined possible.

At first I didn't really know/understand how feminism and hip hop could go together. I watched music videos and saw how women were degraded by only being used as a sexual commodity rather than a women who had thoughts, ideas and her own opinion. I thought there was really no way that these two could really go together. As I read the articles for this week it made more sense of what it really is. Hip hop feminism is about bringing various women's voices together and supplying a sizeable space to challenge the phobias and isms that are silenced and marked invisible but still have an impact on and influence women, particularly African American women.

There was a particular passage that stuck out to me as I was reading "Under Construction" by Whitney A. Peoples. It was,

"Issues of hyper-visibility and invisibility are two sides of the same coin; being rendered invisible relegates black women to a subhuman status, while hyper-visibility renders black women as almost superhuman. In either formulation, black women are battling for recognition of their subjectivity or, as the Combahee River Collective stated, 'to be recognized as human, levelly human, is enough' (Combahee River Collective 1995, 234)."

I think this quote gives good reason why hip hop feminism even exists. Women need to be seen as another human not just some sex symbol in a music video or a woman without a voice. Deborah King gives could analogies and I can really understand what she is trying to say because she uses simple examples.I really respect Deborah King and what she has to say because she has seen it first hand.

deborah king

This first caught my attention because I can relate so well to the first paragraph. I came in also not knowing much and have learned so much by sitting back and listening.

"Hip hop feminism is about bringing various women's voices together and supplying a sizeable space to challenge the phobias and isms that are silenced and marked invisible but still have an impact on and influence women, particularly African American women."

I thought this was well said and I like the idea of bringing voices together as one to fight against the phobias and isms that are so overly used in the community of hip hop, such as degrading women.

"Women need to be seen as another human..."

I also agree with this and not only do I think that they need to be seen as another human but they need to be understood as another human and that they can have just as much of a voice as anyone else.