Intersection of Homophobia and HipHop

I found this article a little while ago, and while it doesn't necessarily pertain to what we're discussing at the moment (hopefully to come!) I found what Brother Ali to say really interesting. In the article he discusses his use of the word "faggot" on his debut album and how he confronts his earlier self and hypocrisy.

"My use of the f-word more than a decade ago in the song "Dorian" off Shadows On The Sun continued to echo in a space in which I no longer dwelled. That word and that mind-set would continue to be perpetuated through me, a man who had grown to understand more, but whose actions had left an indelible print that could not be erased."

He ends the article by stating that "racism and homophobia are social diseases" that haven't been treated, just mutated into a coded language that masks hate speech.
Read the original article here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brother-ali/hip-hop-homophobia-_b_1864676.html

I really like the way Brother Ali addresses his own issues through his music but also in his political activities and interviews. He is always being self critical and working to make himself a better person. I think that connects to feminism. He positions himself in society and challenges the norms. His new music video has some really interesting dance performances. It's worth checking out.

Brother Ali is one of my favorite performers. He is always taking a self reflective glance at his life. He addresses his personal struggles in political activism and interviews. He frames his own life in the context of larger social structures and positions himself yet also challenges the norms. I think that connects to feminism. His new music video has some really unique dance perormances that are cutting edge and worth checking out.