My Big Fat Hip-Hop Family

Growing up in a family where hip-hop was embedded into our daily lives, it becomes difficult to pinpoint exactly when my introduction to this form of art was. My earliest memories consist of artists such as Nas, Tupac, and Notorious B.I.G. Because my large family was always packed in the van and on the go, I remember the radio and my step-dad's CD's being the primary exposure to hip-hop throughout my childhood. Although your typical listener isn't a seven-year-old Caucasian, I never felt like an outsider while listening to hip-hop. In fact, it was the one thing that had the power to unite our mixed family at the end of a chaotic day.

I think the first time I realized that hip-hop wasn't something that everyone had the chance to experience was when I started school. I would try to talk to other kids about music, and they looked at me like a deer in the headlights. I remember there being a moment of feeling like an outsider because I listened to Snoop instead of the Backstreet Boys, but I can assure you it only lasted a moment. While other kids were being sheltered from hip-hop, I was drenched in it, and I loved every moment of it. I was being taught to embrace culture and differences, and because of hip-hop I was able to grow up in the suburbs with a very different appreciation of diversity than most. I thank my parents for taking what my friends' parents thought to be "a risk" in exposing me to hip-hop at an early age. It has truly been embedded into many parts of my values and personality.

This is such a great story about your relationship with hip-hop! Tupac and Notorious B.I.G were a few the the major hip-hop artists that I listened to in high school too. It was great to hear that hip-hop was a part of your family. In my family my mom and dad did not appreciate or like hip-hop music. I wish hip-hop could have been a bigger part of my life within my family not just with friends. Looking back my parents definately sheltered my brother and I from hip-hop considering I did not begin listening to it until my last year of middle school going into high school. Entering high school is when I became surrounded with hip-hop through sports and friends. I love the music and am glad once I became famaliar with hip-hop I did not feel like an outsider considering the actions of my parents in my younger years.

-Ashley Johnson

This is absolutely fantastic. I can relate because my brother introduced me to hip-hop when I was nine and I listened to it in the car with him too, except my parents didn't play hip-hop for me. It's fantastic your parents immersed you in the hip-hop culture because most parents wouldn't do that; I admire the sense that your parents didn't want you to be sheltered. Also, I liked how you felt as if the "outsider" role was reversed for you. Awesome blog!

-Sophia Burch

Ah this is great! One reason I didn't really get into hip hop was the fear of being judged, but you embraced it. I admire how you reversed the outsider role and found people who embraced hip hop music as well!
- An An Hua