My Introduction to Hip Hop

To be honest, I can't remember exactly when I was introduced to hip Hop. For as long as I can remember it has been in my life. I grew up in Buffalo New York in the late seventies and early eighties. I can remember listening to all the greatest pioneers of this genre. I guess I can start with how much my brothers used to listen to and emulate Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five and Eric B and Rakim. I know for sure the first song I ever learned the words to was Lotty Dotty by Slick Rick. Dougie Fresh also brings back fond memories. I can recall standing around in crowds in the Hood with somebody's Box blaring as the dancers took their turns break dancing on the card board we all circled. On days when nobody was dancing and the Boom Boxes were off, we were entertained by the freestylers. It was all East Coast!!! In fact the East Coast-West Coast beef was getting started. I can recall the first time I actually listened to NWA and hated it. On the other hand, when Boyz in the Hood came out in 1991, my cousins and I snuck into the movie because we weren't old enough to see it without an adult. When the movie was over we took the train to the Mall. It just so happened that Ice Cube was there for a concert in our fair city. I actually still have his autograph on the back of my movie ticket which I will share with the class Tomorrow. But I guess my favorite artists are the females who ruled the era. Queen Latifa, MC Lyte, Salt N' Pepa, Ms. Melodie, all the versions of Roxanne, I really can go on and on paying homage to those like Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, Big Daddy Kane, Afrika Bambaataa, Zulu Nation, Fat Boyz and so on. I guess, the question I could answer best would be, "When didn't you know Hip Hop?" The answer would be easy, Never!!!

It must have been awesome to grow up in such a musically diverse era, especially in New York! I'm really looking forward to hearing you share stories in class and learning more about the era from someone who experienced it so closely!