My Relation to Hip Hop

As a child, I moved around alot, and I mean ALOT. When I was in fifth grade, I moved to Pasadena, Maryland which is about twenty minutes outside of Baltimore. I had never really heard any hip-hop music before and I actually don't recall ever hearing that the genre even existed. Once I moved to Pasadena, I noticed that the kids listened to a very different type of music that I was unfamiliar with. I was immediately entranced by the beats. Once I heard an initial few songs, I was hooked. I spent hours on the computer in my basement, looking up different artists, songs and albums. I remember Nappy Roots being one of my favorite artists, particularly because of their album Chicken, Watermelon and Grits. I would blast music at all hours of the day and I would wake up like twenty minutes earlier than I had to for school every day so that I would have time to eat my breakfast on couch and watch MTV music videos before my parents woke up. Neither of my parents are fond, nor have they ever been, of most of the music that I listen to. I immediately felt a strong connection to the genre and was surprised to see how much the music impacted language, fashion, politics and art. I never felt like I was an outsider in the world of hip hop because I felt like the majority of the music was made to be enjoyed be everyone and the messages were real. I think I feel like an outsider more now listening to hip hop than I ever did growing up. The messages in the music have seemed to have changed quite a bit and I don't feel like I get such positive vibes from the actual lyrics anymore, but I still love the music!!
220px-Watermelon,_Chicken,_and_Grits.jpg