This One's For The Ladies

When I read the prompt for this assignment, I immediately thought of Dessa. For those of you who don't know, Dessa is a member of the Minneapolis hip hop collective Doomtree. She is the only female member of the collective, and is of white and Puerto Rican descent. Dessa represents my idea of hip hop feminism.

To me, feminism is all about representing women in a way that breaks the mold of the patriachy, a way that breaks down the barriers and suppositions that society has about the way women are, the way women should be, and the way women should be treated. To me, hip hop feminism is bringing women from a position of submission and objectification to a place of equality in this art form. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to ask what hip hop feminism means because the demands of the hip hop's female movers and shakers would be met. In Morgan's article she states "it is crucial that [female hip hop artists] not be viewed as naive but rather informed and empowered."

I think that Dessa is a good example of conscious hip hop feminism. She writes about things that she thinks are important to her, and though some are about equality and being powerful, some are about her personal experiences. She writes like she is an equal to every other artist in the game, but she acknowledges the perceived inferiority of women in the sphere of hip hop. In "Bullpen" she sings:

it's been assumed I'm soft or irrelevant
cause I refuse to down play my intelligence...
forget the bull in the china shop
there's a china doll in the bullpen
walk with a switch, fire in her fist
biting at the bit
swing at every pitch
coach put me in like

She acknowledges her femininity, but her fire as well. She lets everyone know she is a force to be reckoned with, and to me, that's what it's all about.

Dessa+fasfs.jpg