Hip Hop Feminism

To promote gender equality through music, art, and dancing is what I think of when I hear the term hip hop feminism. Feminism is a way for women to get their voices out there and music has proven to be a great way to do so. Women have been able to discuss various issues in their music that center around the struggles and hardships women have gone through, especially those of color. They have talked about sexual harassment and domestic violence in their work which gets the message in the public that women are standing up for themselves. Women in hip hop seem to have more of a voice because they are not scared to say everything they want, even if they get criticized.
A quote that really stood out to me in the reading "Under Construction" was "'holding on to that protective mantle of victimization requires a hypocrisy and self-censorship I'm no longer willing to give. Calling rappers out for their sexism without mentioning the complicity of the 100 or so video-hos that turned up-G-sting in hand for the shoot...'" (Morgan1999,60). This caught my attention because it describes the way women want to be felt sorry for when they are portrayed as sex objects in the media yet they are the ones throwing themselves at any opportunity to be in the questioned video. Women can't play the victim if they are going to give in to the stereotype. Women in these videos aren't so much feminist because they partake in being objects, not advocates.
I personally think hip hop can be seen everywhere in the Twin Cities. It can be seen in the way people dress to the graffiti on buildings to the music played on the streets. Hip hop can be found anywhere, you just need to search for it. One of the main feminist hip hop artists from the Twin Cities is Dessa who started out as a spoken word poet and made her way into hip hop in the group Doomtree. Her song "Go Home" has a great message that shows women are strong enough to say no to men. Women can be the dominate one in a relationnship and not allow the man to walk all over them.

I agree with you. Hip-hop music helped women to get their voices out and express themselves freely. I think through music, women could talk about a lot of sensitive issues easily and draw attention from societies.