Hip Hop Feminism

To me, hip hop feminism is a way to affirm women's stance in society as strong, independent and confident, owning her individuality. Just like in the article (Ph)eminist by the new school, young girls were taught to use music, dance, and art as a way to express self-reliance and self-respect. What stood out to me was the fact that women in mainstream hip hop completely lost sight of what hip hop was meant to do. From the readings and from my own personal opinion, hip hop was a place to express one's own individuality, not demean themselves. It's sad how people have traded their souls for profit.

Growing up I did not listen to much hip hop and I have absolutely no idea where to find hip hop feminism in the Twin Cities. And just like in the past readings about men and race in hip hop, I believe that it is more culturally acceptable for African people than people of different races to be in the hip hop industry. Maybe it's just because I'm looking at the topics addressed by African women, not of other races. I do believe that people of all races should use hip hop feminism as a way to express themselves, however, it must be about their own personal encounters, and not of others.

The first exposure I had to women in hip hop was probably Missy Elliot, this song:

Although the music video is a bit odd and the lyrics scream mainstream, the beginning definitely embraces how she is not society (or white supremacy) beautiful, cough Nicki Minaji cough cough. Now if I may say so, Missy Elliot is a good representation of hip hop feminism.