Hip Hop Feminism

Through out my childhood I heard about Miss Lauryn Hill and the fuggees from my older cousins. I recognized her face from her role as 'Rita' on Sister Act but I was too young to really understand the content of her music. I listened to the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill for the first time when i was 17 years old. That album touched my heart and fed my spirit. At the time, i was a little rough around the edges, head strong and an all around hormonal teenager.The Miseducation taught me about honoring and protecting my body and heart. It taught me to be vigilant about the people I let into my life,and that not everyone is after my best interests. Most importantly that album taught me about the power of love, love between a man and a woman, love from a mother to her child, love of self and the unconditional love God has for all of us. I would not consider Miss Hill to be a hip hop feminist but she has contributed greatly in to the way black women are represented in Hip hop. She mixed her soulful sound with skill and lyrical content in a manner that spoke and continues to speak to Black youth. She urges us as young black woman to take our lives in to our hands and value ourselves and our bodies. She articulates in her song That thing" Don't be a hard rock when you really are a gem. Babygirl, respect is just a minimum."