Hip Hop Feminism in the Twin Cities

For me, Hip Hop Feminism is really a response by women to all of the misogyny, sexism, objectification, and exploitation that they face, through the lens of hip hop. In the videos we watched in class, specifically MC Lyte and Queen Latifah, you can see them standing up to those experiences. Each of them is taking a stance against the discrimination that they face, in Queen Latifah's song U.N.I.T.Y, she talks about being called a "bitch" and a "hoe", and also about being groped on the street. When she is rapping these lyrics and acting as the storyteller, it allows other women to relate and unite together to take a stand. I think that is what Hip Hop Feminism is all about. In Aisha Durham's article I really responded the line where she speaks about black women being readily available in a ghetto near you. This really showed me that the people who are running these capitalist systems and making all of the money off of these ideas are not thinking about the consequences of the information that they are subjugating into our society. Because of many of these notions, violence and exploitation against women becomes justified. Here in the Twin Cities I am not really sure where a community space for Hip Hop Feminism is, although I am sure that there are some (consequence of my suburban upbringing). I also think that Hip Hop Feminism is probably different everywhere you go depending on race, ethnicity, gender and geographic location, but I think that at it's core the ideals and values are the same.

UNITY.jpg

I agree with you when you say, "in Queen Latifah's song U.N.I.T.Y, she talks about being called a "bitch" and a "hoe", and also about being groped on the street. When she is rapping these lyrics and acting as the storyteller, it allows other women to relate and unite together to take a stand. I think that is what Hip Hop Feminism is all about." I also believe that this is one way hip hop feminism has propagated throughout the years. Women are seeing others take a stand against opposition and subjectivity, and want to bear their voice and power on the world.