Hip Hop Feminism in the Twin Cities

Having never been to a hip-hop concert (or any concert, for that matter), and given the fact that I don't regularly listen to hip-hop, I have very little experience with hip-hop in the Twin Cities. I have heard of some popular local artists, such as Atmosphere and Brother Ali, but from what I have heard of them they probably can not be considered hip-hop. So, I decided to look for some examples of female hip-hop artists in the Twin Cities.

Auburn is a hip-hop artist from Minneapolis who gained a small amount of notoriety in 2007 with the release of her album Same Giirl. She has released several singles since then, one of which has charted on the U.S. Hot 100, but has not released any additional albums.

Dessa is a rapper from Minneapolis, and is the only female member of the Hip-Hop group Doomtree, which is based in Minneapolis. Dessa has released several albums with Doomtree, along with Two solo albums.

The most interesting find on my search for female hip-hop artists in the Twin Cities was Desdamona. Desdamona won the award for best spoken word artist in Minnesota five years in a row, and is considered one of the best female hip-hop artists in the Midwest. She has been a guest in Brother Ali's music, and has rapped about her frustration with hip-hop being dominated by men.

Hip-hop feminism clearly has a long way to go in the Twin Cities, but it is there for anyone who is looking for it, and hopefully it will become more prominent in the years to come.