Blog #4

I think one the most important issues facing new generations of young people globally is extreme individualism. Young people ignore each other more and more and only care about themselves. We see young people's rudeness and disrespect not only to each other among the young, but also to other generations including the elderly. Children don't care what others say and dislike when a teacher questions their words or deeds in school. They are not willing to follow the rules for the whole and interested in what's going on out of this country or their family. I am from South Korea where people share a collectivism culture. Even though many people value a sense of community, and think that a group is as much important as an individual, more and more young people ignore things that are not directly related to them. They don't care what's going on around them.
However, there is no such person as a complete individual. Some degree of collective consensus is needed for society to function well. No one who ignores the importance of a sense of community can be a good member of society who understands, communicates and interacts with each other well. The humans are designed to be social beings interacting with each other. Therefore, Young people need to understand and embrace differences in religion, race, and every other aspect of each other, rather than ignoring them and caring about only themselves.

In his song 'Changes', 2 Pac talks that we need to care about and share with each other, and erase racism.
"I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere
Unless we share with each other
We gotta start makin' changes
Learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers
And that's how it's supposed to be...
Let's change the way we eat
Let's change the way we live
And let's change the way we treat each other"

I completely agree with you. People need to steer away from extreme individualism and become more aware of their surroundings and external affairs. Your blog reminded me of a passage from Halifu Osumare's "Beat Streets in the Global Hood." He stated that when people thought of London England, they pictured tea, crumpets, and the royal family. They were oblivious to the greater issues facing the country such as poverty, ghettos, drugs, and violence. This demonstrates that people need to have open mind sets that are willing to learn new information and process it, not just in one ear and out the other. They need to be more engaged in world news instead of gossip that only pertains to their own personal interests, something that social media hasn't helped with. If this doesn't happen, a collective ignorance will become of future generations.

I totally agree with you. Youth today don't seem to think much outside of things concerning them. Most don't even know about issues occuring out of their own country. They need to start educating themselves in order to relate to others.