Changes

I am going to start our last blog with the first english hip hop song I have ever heard.
I am not starting with it because I feel that I did not move from where I started but contrary. Now I see how much I did not know about hip hop. I was just a little 'rebel' who wanted her voice to be heard. Usually my singing was directed against my parents and professors since there was a time that I did not get along with adults at all.
Then my insurgency grew up. Hip hop became my way of saying that I do not like my government and the way they lead the country. This was when I started looking upon hip hop as political movement. I found a lot of inspiration in those songs and I understood it better and better as I grew up.
However, I made a big break. 2 years before this class I did not hear hip hop so I took this class as new beginning. It was wonderful to learn all those new things, to go back to "old days" and listen again to some songs but this time with real passion and apprehension. My understanding of the problems that America is facing when it comes to race is much greater. Also, I learned where hip hop came from and why people need to respect that. In addition, I focused on problems in my country and heard some new things that went out. Some of them I still do not like but there are a lot of them in which I can find myself. I started seeing myself as a grown-up woman who can argumentatively stand for things she cares about. I felt my identities changing. Of course, it can't happen in two months but one needs to start from somewhere.
Above that, this class gave me a better perspective of shared identities. In other words, I realized that my way of thinking is probably the same or pretty similar to the way of thinking of my peers in America, Asia or Africa. Here, I would point out the Middle East since the wars of all kinds are going on there. I did not know much about it before but when I first heard the songs I could totally empathize with my peers there. Sometimes, it was even hard to read about that but in the end I was so happy to "see" them fighting for their rights.
We are coming to an end where I see that "new me". I would say that this "new" refers to more knowledgeable me. Also, what I really missed about 'rebel' side of myself was that back then, when I started listening to hip hop, I did not care much about what other people think. Now I know that that strength of mine came from hip hop and I am more than happy to feel that way again.

We gotta make a change...
It's time for us as a people to start makin' some changes.
Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live
and let's change the way we treat each other.
You see the old way wasn't working so it's on us to do
what we gotta do, to survive.

Although I learned a lot, I think that those are going to be my favorite hip hop song lines forever.

Selena,
Thanks for this post. Tupac was an amazing artist, not just for the complex political message, suave lyrics, and storytelling prowess, but also for the way *some* of his music was so deeply inspirational. I believe that the "Changes" CD came out just before his death. Not only did his music convey a deep understanding of the enormous challenges impact new generations globally, but the resolve of being committed to something better! Great post!