Emmanuel Jal

Emmanuel spent four years with the SPLA and by the time he was 8 years old he learned military strategy and weaponry and at the age of 9 he was taking part in major battles. Following the fall of Mongistu and the failure of Operation Jungle Storm, the 1991 SPLA assault on south Sudan's capital Juba, Emmanuel trekked for hundreds of miles to join a rival rebel group in his home area of Upper Nile. He hoped that he would at least be able to be nearer his home. Of the hundreds who set out, only a few survived the journey. Walking hundreds of miles across Sudan, many died of starvation, thirst and animal attacks and were forced to turn to cannibalism on the dead to survive. Emmanuel managed to survive on snails, birds and the vultures that one of his friends had shot. Despite different musical traditions, Ceasefire drew out the common links between the different Sudanese artists, and was followed by live tour dates. Emmanuel subsequently became the spokesperson for the Campaign to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers and performed in the winter of 2004 at a UN event in Switzerland to help create awareness for the plight of child soldiers. Today, he lives in an upmarket district of Nairobi andhas been nominated for an American Gospel Music Award (www.agmawards.com), and has appeared at Africa Calling at the Eden Project in Cornwall as part of Live 8. I am interested in Emmanuel Jal because of what he has been through in his life and how he portrays this in his music. It is interesting to listen to his music and know what he has been through. Emmanuel Jal.jpeg

I wonder what it would be like to meet this man. I would be interested to hear his music, and see how he connects with an audience. His experiences are so far removed from my own, and I imagine those of a lot of people. If he is able to be such a positive influence on others after the horrifying things he has experienced through other people, it makes me wonder what has been the positive influence in his life? How was he able to come out on top?