estelle

estelle-face-thumb-473xauto-8116.jpg

My formidable pre-teen years were spent imitating my older sister. This imitation centered around listening to the same music. While living in England, my sister urged me to listen to Estelle, a well known singer from London who was famous well before singers like Adele and Amy Winehouse incorporated their 60s sound. She made it big in the U.S. when she featured Kanye West in "American Boy", but has been around since the early 2000s.
The winner of World Music Awards, Grammys, and BET awards, Estelle is a strong female presence in hip-hop both overseas and stateside. She paved the way for hip-hop female artists and was one of the huge female singing sensations in the UK after the Spice Girls. As stated above, her style is now emulated by songstresses like Adele. But her strong, Black, female presence in hip-hop is not only felt in the burgeoning artist scene, but sets a standard for female performers in style, artistry, and skill.

Although I picked Tinie Tempah as my favorite non-US hip-hop artist, I too LOVE Estelle. I am not sure what it is about those from the UK, or London, but their accent sure draws me in to their music that they create. They really stand out as artists because their music they create is something different than what we are used to here in the United States. I enjoy the music that they create and also love that I can clearly hear what they are saying through their music since their accents are so clear and crisp.

I like Estelle too. Like you said she is a strong female presence in hip hop. I got to know her because of the song "American Boy", and searched about her. I used to listen to her songs when I was in Korea, about 2-3 years ago. She is quite well-known singer in Korea too, and I like her voice and articulation style.