Lady Sovereign

When I was in eighth grade, I was introduced to the magic of Lady Sovereign by MTV. Lady Sovereign is a rapper and grime artist from England. She really breaks the mold of a hip hop artist in a lot of ways, and she's anything but typical. The rap game in England is similar to the rap game in the United States in that it is dominated by men. As a woman, Lady Sovereign was under great scrutiny and often picked on for being a white female trying to rap. However, she didn't give up and has reached a decent level of fame, and has been able to spread her message of badassery across multiple ponds. Her lyrics mostly center around self-acceptance, which can be seen in her hit single "Love Me or Hate Me." This was the first song that I heard by Lady Sovereign, and the lyrics have stuck with me since I first heard it, particularly when she raps:

So I can't dance and I really can't sing.
I can only do one thing,
And that's be Lady Sovereign!
Love me or hate me, it's still an obsession.
Love me or hate me, that is the question.
If you love me then thank you!
If you hate me then fuck you!

These lyrics are certainly empowering, and spread a pretty positive message of being self-confident and being okay with yourself. Watch the video below, but you've been warned. This will get stuck in your head FOREVER.

I love Lady Sovereign as well. She is a bit younger than me and i have a little harder time relating to her lyrics but i do appreciate her style and message. She lets young women know that they are worthy of grabbing a mic and making their own style their own reguardless of who is listening. It is important for young women to know others are out there holding their own making art and having their voices heard.

I tried to submit this once so i will go off memory and try to repeat myself. hopefully this time the submit button will submit this and if it already has my apologies.
Lady Sovereign is a little younger then me so i have a hard time relating to her lyrics but i appreciate what she is saying. She lets other young women artists out there know that they are worthy of having their voices heard no matter who is listening. She does encourage confidence and inspire hope. She holds her own and lets other young women know that their style and voice is valid no matter what. She even inspires me to pick up the mic.