The Pink Hijab

For this blog I chose to write about the article we read, "The Pink Hijab." This article was very intriguing to me and brought about ideas and perspectives I had never considered were apart of Arab women's beliefs and feelings about wearing their hijabs. As a college student growing up in the United States my whole life I have clearly only heard the stereotypical views our society holds about these women and their culture.

My major is family social science and for my internship hours I volunteered at a Commonbond Community in St. Paul for a year. At this center I worked with all Somalian teenagers. Each of the girls wore a hijab everyday I saw them. During my year there I had many different conversations with them about their religion and feelings towards wearing their hijabs. From my perspective and the words I heard from these young girls I found they did not like to wear their hijabs. It seemed among the teens it was becoming a new fad to show some of their hair while still wearing their hijab. I had found out the only individuals who could see them without their hijab were their siblings boy or girl and their father, but no other males could see them without it.

This is why this article was so interesting to me, because in the article the hijab was symbolized as an equalizer.A qoute from the article states, "It is an instrument that makes a female untouchable as she makes her own decisions in the macho Arab world. It is a stamp of authenticity as well as a symbolic demand for change." In my view I never had thought of a hijab of an equalizer, but a way for men to maintain power over women, by supressing the amount of skin they are allowed to show in public. Even though the women in this article see the hijab as a way to gain power and more freedom in the Arab world, I do believe there are women who still feel the hijab is a controlling mechanism employed by the Arab men. Another quote that sparked my interest in this topic is, " families feel much more comfortable allowing their girls to be active, to get higher education, or jobs, or even to go out alone at night when they are wearing hijab." I find this is positive, because now these women are getting the chance to live a life, to have an education that will further empower them as women and their fight against the highly patriarchalized society they are surrounded by.

Lastly, the new fashions the article talked about in regards to hijabs was extremely powerful to me. These women want to be women like all others and wear bright colors, make up and jewelry, so the new hijab fashion is really great. These women can be devoted followers of their religion, but now do it in style. Here is a picture of one of many popular looks women wear with their hijabs.

Hijab-Fashion-Trend-2012-and-2013-.jpg