The New Me

Before taking this class, I listened to hip hop as merely another genre of music. I listened to Nicki Minaj while running on the treadmill and Twista in the car with my brother. I enjoyed the beats and lyrics but didn't take it into any serious account. After taking this class, I am well-informed about the movement of hip hop and the stance it takes in activism. This class has opened my eyes to the social issues in society as well as the global impact hip hop has made. Furthermore, I now view hip hop as an expression and a means for which people to express themselves. Hip hop has created a connective marginality within different cultures and has made an impact on me. I am now more aware and open to different points of views and can view lyrics as a gateway for expression. Hip hop has made the impact of social awareness on me, and that is what I will take away from this class.