"The New Me" Blog #5

When I signed up for this class I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. I thought to myself, "I am an animal science major what am I doing taking a Sex, Politics, and Global Hip Hop class?" I talked to my roommates about it and they had the same thinking as I did. As I got further into the class I realized that I had made the right decision in sticking the class out. I learned so many important things while in class. One of the most important things I learned in this class was how hip hop music is so different. Before taking this class I thought that all hip hop was the same and they all sang about the same things... sex, drugs, alcohol, and money. Once the class progressed and got further into the discussions in class I realized that there is much more to hip hop than just that. Hip hop in the United States may be about drugs, alcohol, sex, and money but that doesn't mean that all artists sing about that.There are still current artists that sing about political and "real world" problems. We may just have to look outside of the mainstream artists or maybe even globally.

I was in a similar situation to you. I am an English major, but decided to take a class different than anything I have ever taken before. It was hard at times because I didn't have as much background knowledge about hip-hop as everyone else, but stepping out of my comfort zone was good. I have learned a lot.