"The new me:" Where I stand in the global hip hop cipher!

At the beginning of this class I did not know what to expect when coming into the course being that I am not a women studies major. The class was much different that I had anticipated and really dug deep into the development of hip hop as a whole as well as how feminism and women play a major role. I would absolutely say at the beginning of this class was oblivious to all of the cultural elements and deep rooted meanings hip hop incorporates. This class has definately changed my views and appreciation for the genre.

I remember the first blog we wrote in this class, was about what we think hip hop is and how we personally relate to it. When writing this first blog all hip hop to me was a genre to dance to, that got everyone pumped up and excited. There is a real entertainment factor to this genre of music, but through the development of this class I have learned there is much more than entertainment involved in this genre of music. The "new me" would have an entirely different approach to where I stand in the global hip hop cipher. Through the completion of this course I would say I stand as an on looking bystandard. My relationship to hip hop is that of loving the beats, the dances and the atmospheres this genre creates, but overall hip hop is not a part of my culture or families history. This gives me a great appreciation for the artists who have used music as a tool to have their voices and opinions heard around the world. Hip hop has inspired the youth around the world and through this course hip hop has inspired me to look at the lyrics and the individuals singing in a different light. This was a wonderful class and I look forward to sharing my new perspective and knowledge about hip hop with others.

I relate to you in the fact that hip hop is not a part of my culture or family histories and because of this, i have a greater appreciation for the artists who have used music as a tool to have their voices and opinions heard around the world. Hip hop is also a personal transition for oneself as well. Like you said, the "old you" and "new you" are completely different in relation to hip hop. Through the study of its histories, applications, and compositional elements, we haven't just gained knowledge about this genre, but we have also transformed ourselves into more well-rounded and cultured individuals.