Where I Stand

Barack Obama said it best when he surprised America by declaring, "The thing about hip-hop today is it's smart, it's insightful. The way they can communicate a complex message in a very short space is remarkable". Growing up with hip hop, I understood before taking this class how influential hip-hop could be. However, this class has deepened my understanding of hip-hop, enabling me to expand my knowledge about elements beyond lyricism and beats. In the same way, this class has also taught me to look deeper into lyrics and listen for the creative ideas expressed by the trickster. I can listen to hip-hop all day and night but looking at it from an academic perspective has peaked my interest and has allowed me to recognize that under the baggy clothes and sometimes distasteful lyrics, these are artists that deserve recognition for having the courage and intellect to discuss topics deemed by the social norm as forbidden.

obama-luda.jpg

I agree and disagree with what you have to say. I agree that hip-hop is an art form that ought to get respect and societal recognition. Unfortunately, I truly believe that the wrong artist gain respect. Mainstream rappers (some not all), who openly conform to patriarchy and consumerism are gaining recognition (money, power) based off the exclusion/disrespect of others. Unfortunately, these others include (in my opinion) the true artists. The b-girls, the b-boys, black hip-hop feminists, queer hip-hop feminists who use hip-hop as an artistic form for social change that challenge racial and economic hegemonies. Hip-hop artists who abuse the power of capitalism (objectify women, brag about their riches, glamorize violence, etc) I argue are conforming to the racist society we occupy by objectifying themselves. They participate in their own racism and objectification.

The quote from our president was really interesting to read, I agree that this class has given me a much deeper understanding of hip hop as well.