Blog #3 Voices of the People

All you need is to find a place to be heard by everyone.
All you need is to put out your voice.
Hip-hop is a great way, music is a great way to let your voice be heard and to express what you want to say. It is the voice of the people that cannot be heard. It is the truth that government hides. That why people sing to have their voice be heard and their though and ideas of what should be done.

A Hmong band called Delicious Venom performing their song called "30 years Secret"
The song talks about the lied that the American Government had promise the Hmong people when that if the Hmong people help the United States during the Vietnam War that if anything should happen the American will help them out. It has been 30 years and there are still a lot of Hmong living in Lao being persecuted by the government for their involvement in the war.

It is very interesting to see that the outside world depicts America as this beautiful melting pot, one that just lend everything together so gracefully. However once you set inside the so called pot you realized thing are not being blended together, but rather one flavor is dominating the rest.Hip hop in the US is a direct representation of the melting pot ideology, but as we are coming to see, many groups are being excluded. The video was very enlightening, and it is amazing how hip hop, has no language but speaks to a thousand languages.

What I like about this video is that it shows that Hip Hop connects to a lot cultures. But they not only embrace the Hip Hop culture, but adapted it to the culture they were raised in. I haven't heard too much of Delicious Venom's music (They are broken up right?) Groups like Delicious Venom, DAM and other groups with different backgrounds and values bring a new breath of fresh air to the music with the political aspect that is missing in the mainstream. I like the equal balance.

I love to see the different cultural groups that use hip hop for the same purpose, to express themselves. From what I know of Tou Saik Lee from Delicious Venom, he's in a new group, but spends most of his time working for an organization called In Progress that works with young students who are interested in hip hop. I recently saw a performance by Tou Saiko Lee, and Blackbird Elements (the young people from InProgress) -- and Tou Saik, though the most experienced of the group, kept handing off the microphone to the young people around him and pushing them forward to the front of the stage. I saw it as a beautiful example of how the hip hop tradition will be carried on, because its practitioners are in the communities working with young people, passing the torch.