Recently in - Bullo Erena Mamo Category

A click was my key to Minnesota!

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

It had been over a year since I thought about pursuing graduate education in the U.S. I was contemplating about where to go for a graduate school in Plant Sciences. I had a couple of schools in mind that were sought-after by everyone. However, I did not make any effort for that long period of time to define my destination. When the time was right, I got the courage to "look for" what I want. It was a quite and beautiful day back in Davis, California. I could have rather sat back and 'chilled-out' but I decided to take a step to make my dream come true. I turned a computer on, went to the internet and typed "University of Minnesota plant pathology department" in Google, and clicked the search button. Remember, University of Minnesota was one of the schools in my 'top list' to go to for a graduate education. The webpage of the department was the first hit of course. I read relevant information on the website, and dropped an email to the Director of Graduate Studies right away. With in a few minutes, a response came back. The gracious response was for me to come to Minnesota for an annual graduate student recruitment event. I attended the event and went back with all information I needed to apply to the graduate school and the graduate program. I followed up on that and finally ended up getting admitted to my favorite graduate program. So joining your favorite graduate program at the University of Minnesota is just a click away. If I make it, so you can too. Happy clicking!

Do you have a place at The U?

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Oh Yes. Everybody has a place at The U. The U is a short form for the University of Minnesota. As a prospective student, The U knows that you have several options. Higher learning institutions exist in all six of the seven continents worldwide. Why you should consider the U then? The U ranks among the top world universities. But it is down-to-earth to accommodate everyone!!! The school welcomes international students. It has numerous support systems in place to help U get in and succeed. We, International Student Ambassadors, are among the many live examples for U. Should you need more information about the U, need assistance with the application process or anything, please let us know. I was out there like you before. But now I have been through the processes and aware of what it takes to get here. Just know that you have a spot waiting for you here on campus. Talk to you soon.

Greetings, viewers of this blog

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

Greetings,

I would like to start off by expressing my thankfulness to being a member of this group of students who came together to share their experiences as a student of this great campus. It might come as a surprise to some people going to small national universities/colleges around the globe. But even though we are all going to the U, it is my first time to meet most of the students in this group. The U is HUGE, Really. So it took me almost three years to meet this year's group of international student ambassadors (less than 20 students, right?). Imagine how much it would take you to meet all the 50,000 something students going to this campus? Anyways, until you do the maths, let me introduce myself.

Selam (akkam) -- meaning, greetings in Amharic and Afan Oromo -- two languages I speak from my country. My name is Bullo Mamo. I am from Ethiopia, born and raised in countryside close to a town called Wolliso. Wolliso is a small town in Oromia State, 114 km (71 miles) southwest of the Capital Addis Ababa/Finfine (ethiomap.ppt). Upon completing high school, I joined Haramaya University (see map) and graduated with BSc. After working for a while, I went to the Netherlands for my masters, after which I came to the US. I first came to University of California-Davis to do an internship as a part of my masters. I then applied to Graduate School at the U, and am now a third year PhD student in Plant Pathology.

You might ask why on earth one would move from the conducive weather of California to the cold winter of Minnesota? Minnesota offers something hard to get from somewhere else, and the cold weather would not prevent you from accessing that... if you need more justification for this and other questions, please come forward. I am here to help as much as I can while you make an important decision in your life... why to consider the University of Minnesota as a home for your graduate career....

Take care,
Bullo

This page is an archive of recent entries in the - Bullo Erena Mamo category.

- Banchinda Laothai is the previous category.

- Maki Inoue-Choi is the next category.